Thursday, June 27, 2002

Okay, Blogathon 2002 is coming. For those who don't know, this is where bloggers can sign up to blog for charity. Other folks sponsor the bloggers, and the money goes to a charity specified by the blogger. (Must be a 'net contributable charity.) This is blog as in "24-hour" blog, with 1/2 hour postings. Last year Lynn tried it, and is considering it again. I'm thinking about it.

But this post is about someone who is signed up for Blogathon 2002, and I'd like to point you to her site. That would be Ms. Meryl, who will be blogging for Shaare Zedek Medical Center, Jerusalem. An admirable charity, I thought, when I first read it, but I felt I would save my sponsoring for my own choice of charities.

That was before I got my Newsweek yesterday. The article "Code Blue In Jerusalem" brought into sharp focus the reality of what the trauma physicians are facing as they deal with the effects of the terrorist plague in Israel. The discussion of the massive internal injuries victims face, which may leave them almost unscathed on the outside but shredded within, moved me intensely.

So Meryl, here I come to pledge for you...now you'd better stock up on the caffeine, ma'am!